Thursday, February 09, 2006

Weight Experience

At one point in my life, after a divorce, I was at 135lbs. I was actually within my healthy weight range. I soon sparked a relationship with a wonderful woman whom 2 years later would become my wife. A the time I met her I was out of a job, but managed to get a job a few months later due to a confluence of lucky things coming together at once.

Again, I was comfortable in my newfound position, I was employed, and I could afford to live normally again. I (inexplicably) put on more than 50lbs in what seemed like an overnight timeframe. My girlfriend didn't care, and hardly seemed to notice. Worried tha this gain may have been caused by a metabolic issue, and not just simply uncontrolled, unabaited gorging on fast food (Its cheap, close, convenient and easy...) I visited a doctor to explain I had put on weight and not sure why.

The response floored me. He simply responded: "What? You want me to put you on a diet?"

If I wanted to be "put on a diet" I certainly would not be wasting my money on a Dr's appointment. He checked my vitals, gave me some aweful blood pressure medication that totally screwed up my electrolyte balance, and sent me on the way with my requested blood tests.

Everything came back normal, My cholesterol was normal, no metabolic issues. At this point, I was on a quest to figure out a non-metabolic reason for my gain. I tried a few diets, succeeded only a little before deciding that I was deprived and fell of the wagon. Eventually my girlfriend, then fianceƩ introduced me to Weight Watchers. She just joined, because she was getting married, and wanted to thin down for her pictures. I stuck with it for several months, but fell off the wagon (About 1 year and 1 month ago) I just simply lived my life, shrugged, and accepted my situation. It didn't dawn om me until we had a physical recently how much I had gained. Again, greeted by another unfriendly person in the medical profession and his scale.

I stepped on it. I Blinked. I looked at it with one eye, then with the other. It couldn't be. I couldn't possibly be over 250 lbs. No way! Not me!

It was no wonder why I was having difficulty putting on my shoes and socks, and even doing simple things such as bending and stooping to get at something off the ground. This time, I'm determined to fight this and get back to where I need to be.

Although I was and am obese. My cholesterol was always in control, and my general condition was good. Until I dropped that first 15 lbs I had no idea what I was missing. I can't wait to see whats in store for me. As far as BP goes, once I got off the meds for depression and stopping smoking, that too dropped, but I was still 260 lbs.

I still hold a grudge against that doctor, though and only had 1 visit. I'll never visit another doctor like that. Whether I'm fat or thin.

I had a taste of what it was like to be at a healthy weight. I want to get back there.

No comments: