Monday, October 09, 2006

A New Life

As many things in life, things change.

A new series of posts from now on. I'm now one of the many who is experiencing and has experienced having a new life develop before their eyes. I just found out my wife is pregnant. This will be our first child. I'm estatic.

Periodically, I will be posting entries about this wonderful and amazing journey.

Week 1, Day 1

It happened. It finally happened. We just finished a cruise, and during the cruise suspected that something may be up. So, upon returning home, we stopped by walgreens to pick up the test. I had just read a letter in the mail that was going to require attention, and was bad news. Fine. I can deal with it.

She took the test, and in a few minutes my world changed: it simply read "Pregnant". I was scared, especially because of the coorespondence in the mail, and now a baby, too. How can I deal with it? This wasn't how I wanted it to be. I wanted the moment we found out to be a spectacular rush of joy, not terror. But, I was a bit terrified. I had a financial obligation that I needed to make good, "or else..." and that stung, especially in light of this news. I didn't sleep too well, and was quite fidgity. We called my parents and her parents to tell them the good news. Deep inside I can feel the happiness, but it is overshadowed by the other news.

Day 2

Having reconciled arrangements to pay back the debt, I'm confident we can do this. I now find myself wondering about this new person, new human being.... Someone who only a scant few weeks ago didn't exist at all! What will they be like? What will their personality be like? Whose looks will they resemble the most? All these questions will be answered in due time.

Its wonderful! I'm going to be a dad!

No comments: